Papua New Guinea
This article was added by the user . TheWorldNews is not responsible for the content of the platform.

Police dog awarded for bravery by the Queen

When dogs were introduced into the Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary, only one dog was well known in Mt Hagen, Western Highlands Province in the 1980s.

A German Shepherd named Marcus was loyal and protective of his handler, Senior Sergeant Willie Minato, who was only a Constable when he was paired with Marcus.

Minato, who was from Akom village, Wabag in Enga Province, did not know anything about handling dogs, but he was told Marcus was well trained and could listen to every command.

Both would be seen walking the streets of Mt Hagen and greeting everyone by name.

One night on July 16, 1986, Marcus and Minato responded to an armed robbery at Newtown.

Criminals had been terrorising motorists and suspects had already decamped into a nearby coffee garden.

Young and very energetic, Minato had just graduated from the Bomana Police College, he responded and without hesitation, he let Marcus go after the robbers into the dark coffee garden.

“Marcus ran in, and suddenly he stopped, there was total silence, I was not too sure but I had to check on Marcus, I followed and as I flashed my light into the darkness, the light hit a suspect and Marcus.

“Marcus had his mouth around the suspect’s arm and was not letting go, however, the suspect was stabbing Marcus,” he said.

“The suspect was locked as the dog kept his grip on him, then I saw the suspect stabbing Marcus but he (Marcus) couldn’t let go I called out to Marcus ‘leave!’ that’s when he let go of the grip and dropped unconscious on the ground,” Snr Sgt Minato said.

Marcus was stabbed 15 times on his neck.

Minato called out for help and carried his dog to the vehicle and rushed Marcus to the airport and straight to Goroko, Eastern Highlands for the veterinary doctors to treat him.

He was badly injured but the Veterinary doctor saved him.

“The suspect aimed at his throat and wanted to kill him, but he held onto the man while he was stabbing him until I arrived,”Minato said.

Both handler and dog were referred to Lae, Morobe, where he went into operation, made a tremendous recovery and resumed duties after five weeks in Mt Hagen.

“I waited for weeks until he could walk and gain his strength and then we returned to work,”
he said.

He said after two years, Marcus was recognised and awarded with the RSPCA Gold award at Ela Beach where 100 people gathered to witness the event for his bravery in helping men in a very dangerous situation.

Marcus died after few months after receiving his award in 1989 from his wounds as maggots grew and the wound developed into sores.

Mr Minato is currently the second in charge for the Dog Unit Directorate for police constabulary, and served 40 years in the force and survived with four children with eldest 31 and youngest eight.