Umleqwa / Free-range Chicken Recipe
1 whole chicken, plucked, cleaned and cut into 6 pieces
900ml boiling water
1 chicken stock cube
15ml olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, skin removed and chopped
30ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
2.5ml (½ tsp) curry powder
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
- Transfer the boiling water to a saucepan and add the chicken pieces.
- Add the stock cube to the chicken and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until its cooked.
- In another saucepan, sauté the onion, green pepper, garlic clove.
- Add tomatoes, curry powder, sugar and tomato paste.
- Season with salt.
- Add the cooked chicken and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
As we continue to celebrate the Heritage Day long weekend, what better way to continue in the spirit, than by indulging in some of our local faves!
As part of the fun, Royal Baking Powder kicked off the #RBPHeritageExchangeChallenge.
The campaign challenges South Africans to swop a heritage recipe with someone of another culture. The aim of the exchange is to learn to bake something that you might never have, while learning more about each other’s personal culture in the process.
The campaign kicked off with Afrikaans singer and songwriter, Bobby van Jaarsveld, who exchanged recipes with Chef Daniel Mbombi.
Media entrepreneur, author and public speaker, Olwethu Leshabane and creative entrepreneur, author and mom, Naqiyah Mayat also exchanged their recipes as part of the challenge.
If you are looking to join in on the fun, here are Olwethu and Chef Daniel's recipes.