South Africa

Covid-19 related deaths in SA increase to 4 172, over 11 000 new cases

Cape Town – A further 93 Covid-19-related deaths were reported on Monday – six from KwaZulu-Natal, 11 from Mpumalanga, 16 from the Free State, 37 from the Western Cape and 23 from the Eastern Cape – Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said.

It brings the total number of Covid-19-related deaths in the country to 4 172, he said in a statement. 

With the number of infections countrywide increasing by 11 554, a total of 287 796 Covid-19 cases have been reported. The number of recoveries stand at 138 241, which translates to a recovery rate of 48%.

The total number of tests conducted to date is 2 194 624, with 40 233 new tests conducted since the last report.

Data supplied by the Department of Health

Nearly one in nine people in the world are going hungry, with the coronavirus pandemic exacerbating already worsening trends this year, according to a United Nations report.

And the raging coronavirus pandemic has the potential to get far worse if all nations do not adhere to basic healthcare precautions, the World Health Organisation warned on Monday.

While wearing an "appropriate item that covers the nose and mouth" in a public place is mandatory, it is still not a criminal offence to go without, the government confirmed on Monday.

"It must be embarrassing to move around without a mask. It must be cool to wear a mask," Minister of Justice and Correctional Services Ronald Lamola said.

Meanwhile, lobby group AfriForum has withdrawn its High Court application dealing with the repatriation of South Africans and the quality of quarantine facilities.  

* If you think you have been exposed to the Covid-19 virus, please call the 24-hour hotline on 0800 029 999 or visit sacoronavirus.co.za 

IOL

Football news:

In Romania, a special champion: everything was decided in the match, the format of which was chosen 3 hours before the whistle
Danny rose: I was stopped by the police last week: is This a stolen car? Where did you get it?. And this happens regularly
Barcelona refused to sell for 60 million euros Trinca u, bought from Braga for 31 million. The club count on him
Chelsea will compete with Everton for Regilon. Real Madrid is ready to sell him
Espanyol asked La Liga to cancel the flight. The Catalans have been in the relegation zone since the fifth round
Inter have not yet decided on Conte's future. Everything will be decided after the Europa League
Haji resigned as Viitorul's coach