South Africa

Man in custody over alleged links to Nice knife attacker

A 47-year-old man has been taken into custody on suspicion of having been in contact with the perpetrator of Thursday's deadly knife attack in Nice, a judicial source said.

On Thursday, a knife-wielding attacker shouting "Allahu Akbar" (God is Greatest) beheaded a woman and killed two other people in a church in the French city before being shot by police and taken away.

The source said the 47-year-old suspected of having been in contact with the attacker had been detained late on Thursday evening, confirming an earlier report on BFM TV.

France's chief anti-terrorist prosecutor Jean-Francois Ricard said the man suspected of carrying out the attack was a Tunisian, born in 1999, who had arrived in Europe on Sept. 20 in Lampedusa, the Italian island off Tunisia that is a major landing point for migrants from Africa.

A Tunisian security source and a French police source named the suspected attacker as Brahim Aouissaoui.

Ricard said the suspected attacker had entered the city by train early on Thursday morning.  

Football news:

God is dead. Sports media of the world mourn Maradona
Mourinho about Klopp's words about dissatisfaction with the Premier League calendar: He came in 2015, I-in 2004. Nothing changes
Chelsea want to activate the option to extend their contract with Silva. The club is happy with the defender
Zidane adapted perfectly to the losses and outsmarted Conte in everything. Hazard finally lit up in the top match
Nani: the Fans love Bruno. He is not afraid to take risks and only thinks about the success of Manchester United
Zidane on Maradona's death: a Huge loss for the world at large. He was unique
22 teams will participate in the FIFA Arab Cup. The tournament will be held in 2021