South Africa

News24.com | New magistrate to hear case of girl, 14, accused of assaulting Lufuno Mavhunga - reports

A screenshot of the incident in question.

A screenshot of the incident in question.

A 14-year-old girl, who was arrested and charged for allegedly assaulting Lufuno Mavhunga, will appear in court again on Thursday.

The girl, who cannot be named because she is a minor, was in the Thohoyandou Children's Magistrate's Court for her bail application on Tuesday.

It did not proceed, however.

Regional National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Mashudu Malabi-Dzhangi said the matter had to be rolled over for a new presiding officer, according to EWN.

"At this stage, the matter will be heard by a neutral chair to ensure a power balance between the interest of the State and the interest of the child. The previous magistrate knows the facts of the preliminary inquiry," Malabi-Dzhangi told TimesLive.

READ | Limpopo pupil dies, education dept probes 'bullying' video

News24 previously reported that two pupils from Mbilwi Secondary School in Limpopo were suspended in connection with the assault.

Mavhunga later died in an apparent suicide.  Limpopo education department spokesperson Tidimalo Chuene said a disciplinary hearing had been set for Thursday.

In a viral video shared on social media, a pupil can be seen repeatedly slapping Mavhunga, who does not retaliate. Other pupils appear to watch and cheer. An inquest docket has been opened into Mavhunga's death.

According to Limpopo police, it is alleged that, after the incident, Mavhunga came home, locked herself in a room, and consumed a large number of pills.

She was rushed to hospital and declared dead on arrival.

Football news:

Neymar on contract extension: Happy to stay at PSG. I will try to fulfill our main dream - to win the Champions League
Neymar has extended his contract with PSG until 2025
Zidane on Hazard laughing after Chelsea: Eden apologized, he didn't mean to offend anyone. This is in the past
Juventus refused to sell de Ligt to Chelsea and Barca. The offers came about 10 days ago
Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juve sent letters to 7 Super League clubs and threaten them with legal consequences for withdrawing from the tournament
Julen Lopetegui: Zidane is the perfect coach for Real Madrid. His work speaks for itself
Hazard will be hard to convince to leave Real Madrid. He receives 15 million euros, his contract is valid for another 3 years