Gary Cohen is arguably (though not really much of an argument) the best play-by-play announcer in Major League Baseball.
On Saturday, he will be inducted into the Mets Hall of Fame.
He is incredibly worthy of the honor, calling Mets games now for over 32 years.
He will be joined by the Mets radio play-by-play voice Howie Rose, along with Mets greats Al Leiter and Howard Johnson.
Longtime Mets PR director Jay Horwitz will also be honored on Saturday before the game at Citi Field against the Blue Jays.
Cohen was this week’s guest on “The Show” podcast with Joel Sherman and Jon Heyman.
‘The Show’ Podcast with Joel Sherman & Jon Heyman:
Gary Cohen Interview:
Mets play-by-play announcer
- METS HALL OF FAME: A true honor and mind-boggling getting into the Mets Hall of Fame.
- METS FANDOM: Growing up going to Shea Stadium as a kid and going to tons of Mets games.
- GARY, KEITH AND RON: They all needed each other and leaned on each other. Try and make it fun and informative for fans.
- RADIO TO TV: Dave O’Brien was SNY’s first choice and Ted Robinson was the second. Gary was the third choice for TV.
- HOWIE ROSE: Two years with Howie on the radio was most fun he ever had. Shared a lot of similar experiences. Great getting into the Mets HOF with him.
- AL LEITER, HOWARD JOHNSON & JAY HORWITZ: Al was one of the most intense competitors. HoJo was one of the most underrated players in Mets history.
New episodes of “The Show” with Joel Sherman and Jon Heyman will be released every Tuesday afternoon through the entire MLB season. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, Amazon or wherever you get podcasts above.