This article was added by the user . TheWorldNews is not responsible for the content of the platform.

Yuvalde School Police Chief Pete Aledondo Resigns from City Council Seat

Texas Police Chief Pete Aledondosaid that about a month aftertook office in{7, the Uvarde City Council I resigned from the seat. }

Uvalde Leader-News was the first person to report on Arredondo's plans to resign early Saturday afternoon.

Yuvarde city leaders said they received his official resignation late Saturday afternoon after hearing news from a local newspaper.

"After careful consideration, it is in the best interests of the community to resign as a member of the City Council of District 3 to minimize further distractions," Arredondo said in the letter. It is stated in. "The mayor, city council, and city officials must continue to move forward to reunite our community."

The news of his resignation was in a shooting at Rob Elementary School. Correspondingly, it came after becoming a central figure in a series of tactical mistakes, including a decision to avoid a confrontation with an 18-year-old shooter. On May 24, 19 children and 2 teachers died.

NBC News has contacted Aledondo's lawyer, but has not responded.

Arredondo was elected to represent District 3 of the Uvalde City Council on May 7, and was formally sworn a week after the shooting at school.

He will resign from the city council about a week after the Uvarde Integrated Independent School District took him off on June 22nd.

Hal Harrell, director of the Uvarde school system, said in a statement that when Aledondo was on leavehe was waiting for the mass shooting investigation to be completed

"Today, I still don't have the details of the investigations being conducted by different people. Agency," he said. "We have decided to take leave of Prime Minister Aledondo on this day because there are still unclear points and we do not know when to receive the findings."

Lieutenant Mike Hernandez takes over the duties of the Prime Minister. Harrell said.

State officials described Arredondo as the commander of the school genocide. Aledondo said he didn't think he was responsible.

Officials said Aledondo mistreated the shooter as a barricade suspect rather than an active shooter. More than an hour later,Federal Bureau of Investigationentered the room and shot deadly the shooter.

Federal and state agenciesare investigating police responses.

City, state, and federal law enforcement officers were also on campus. A team of agents like SWAT from the US Customs and Border Protection eventually entered the classroom and killed the shooter.

Colonel Steve McLaugh of the Texas Department of Public Safetydescribed police actions as a "serious failure" at a Senate Commission hearing on June 21.

"We know this. Law enforcement response to Rob Elementary attacks is the exact opposite of everything we've learned in the last two decades since the Colombine massacre, and it's a terrible failure. There is compelling evidence that it was, "he says. He told Austin Congressman .

At a hearing, McLaugh said the classroom in which the archer was trapped was unlocked. It was widely reported that police did not break into the classroom and were looking for the key because the door was locked after the shooting. According to the timeline released as

McCraw, it took 1 hour 14 minutes 8 seconds after police entered the building until the shooter was killed.

"The only thing that stopped the devoted officer's corridor from rooms 111 and 112 was the on-site commander who decided to prioritize the officer's life over the children's life." He said. "The officer has a weapon. The kids didn't have anything. The officer had a bulletproof vest. The kids didn't have anything. The officer was trained. To the subject. There was nothing. "

According to McCraw and the timeline, about 19 minutes after the shooter entered the classroom, there was a law enforcement officer and at least one ballistic shield at school.

Arredondo has generally avoided the media since the bloodshed on the Uvalde campus. But he told theTexas Tribunein June that police officers "did not hesitate to put themselves at risk, even for a moment."

Arredondo, who took over the school district's police chief in 2020, also told The Tribune that he sees himself as a front-line responder rather than the person who manages the broader response.

"I didn't place an order," he told Tribune. "I asked for help and an extraction tool to open the door."

According to The Tribune, Arredondo decides he can't get the shooter inside and enter the classroom. He then dialed a police dispatch from his cell phone and requested a tactical unit, a sniper, and an escape tool to open the door.

"I didn't say anyone would stand up," Aledondo's lawyer George Heid told Tribune. "It's not going to happen until we get the tools for now, so we're going to do what we can to save lives." And what was it? It was to evacuate students, parents and teachers from the room.

Arredondo was elected to the Uvalde City Council on May 7, and swore at a private ceremony on May 31, one week after the shooting. The council was scheduled for the day, but it was canceled due to shooting.

When the council was reconvened for a special emergency meeting a week later, on June 7, he did not show

Aledondo also The council, which did not attend the June 21 meeting, unanimously refused to accept the request for absence from future council meetings.

Mayor of Yuvarde Don McLaughlinsaid at a meeting of the same council that Rob "asked a child to return or a teacher to return to the school. Can never be done. "