A former Brooklyn prosecutor who last year beat charges of sexually assaulting a Daily News reporter has filed a $5 million wrongful arrest suit against the city, alleging that he was fired from the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office because he was falsely charged with drunk driving following a 2016 traffic stop.
In a lawsuit filed on Friday in Brooklyn federal court, Chrismy Sagaille alleges that two NYPD cops pulled him over in the early morning hours of Aug. 6, 2016.
During the stop, one of the officers told the then-sex crimes prosecutor that “she can make things difficult for him and go to the press,” he claims.
“You guys like to put us in the papers, we are going to put you in the papers,” Officer Kiada Morgane allegedly told Sagaille.
The officers arrested Sagaille and he was held in lockup for 25 hours for a driving while intoxicated charge.
He alleges that the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office fired him for the charge, but Sagaille says he was cleared of the charge in October 2017 following a jury trial.
Prior to the drunk driving trial, Sagaille faced charges that he forcibly kissed a Daily News reporter and grabbed her breast after she gave him a ride home from an April 2017 baby shower — an encounter that he argued was consensual.
The sexual assault case went to trial last year but the jury deadlocked. Sagaille was able to take a deal in which the charges were dismissed and the case was sealed as long as he stayed out of trouble for six months.
In May 2018, Sagaille filed a $10 million defamation lawsuit against the reporter. The suit is still pending.